Spicy Salmon Fish Cakes
Fish cakes are a classic food and one which can be healthy, a great source of protein and is also fantastic to get the kids involved in making.
Ingredients (Makes 9 large fish cakes)
- 700g Potato, chopped into cubes
- 350g Salmon, cut into smaller fillets
- 3 Spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Chilli flakes (change to suit your taste)
- 3 eggs
- Plain flour
- Breadcrumbs (enough to coat)
- Put the cubed potato in a large pan and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil and cook for around 15minutes until soft then drain when cooked.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Coat the salmon with olive oil then place skin side up in the grill and cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn and return to the grill for a further 6 minutes.
- On a plate, remove the skin from the salmon and flake up using a fork.
- Mash the potato well then add the flaked salmon, spring onion, lemon juice, chilli flakes and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Roll the mixture into balls and press down gently to cream the fish cakes. (i made 9, but you can make them smaller if you would prefer)
- In separate bowls, add flour, whisked egg and breadcrumbs. Coat each fish cake in the flour followed by the egg then the breadcrumbs. Repeat until they are all coated.
- Heat some oil in a pan then cook the fishcakes in batches for around 3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately or place on a plate and allow to cool before freezing.
- If cooking from frozen, preheat the oven to 200c fan then place the fish cakes on a baking tray and cook for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Enjoy with a salad.